A multiple open pit oxide gold mine in the district of Siguiri, Guinea, in which AngloGold Ashanti has an 85% interest. The remaining 15% is held in trust for the nation by government.
Our contribution to Guinea in 2019
3,000 jobs created
Strong contribution to national economy
Taxes paid$38.7 million
Payments to government$33 million
- $160 million
spent with local foreign-owned and local indigenous businesses
Portable skills development
The mine’s gold processing plant is designed to treat 12Mt per annum. A combination plant conversion project which began during 2017 will allow the mine to treat 6Mt of sulphide hard ore and 6Mt of soft oxide ore. Commissioning was completed and the first material fed through the plant on 1 March 2019. Siguiri is contractor-mined using conventional open-pit techniques.
Ramp up and complete integration is still underway and expected to be successfully completed by the end of 2020. Details of the ramp up include the addition of a fines scalping screen at the new crushing circuit as part of dealing with fines during the wet season. There will also be an additional trash screen to provide more capacity for maintenance and treatment of viscous stockpiled oxide material, and consideration of additional CIP capacity to deal with potential carbonaceous containing fresh ores. The plant scats crusher circuit is also being upgraded, with the addition of a new crusher to assist with improved liberation of gold in the scats.
The mining lease area has significant gold prospectively and exploration potential.